Monday, December 9, 2013

I've Got My Game Face On....

Thus far  - I have managed to steer clear of high cholesterol, high blood pressure
and an unhealthy weight.  But that is changing.  
I can see it.
I can feel it.

I have been physically fit most of my life - working out at gyms, taking classes, eating right.  But over the last few years, I have lost my focus.  Lost my way.

I did my research and have made the decision to hire a personal trainer.  I met with her today.
We talked at length.

Starting Monday we meet twice a week.  The plan we have sketched out
is training twice a week together, and three times a week on my own  - for a total
of five days - with the other two days reserved for optional activities.


I'm excited.  I've never worked with a trainer before and am looking forward to fine tuning my mind and my body beyond what I have been able to do in the past - or what I am capable of doing on my own.

I was thinking about two years ago when I went to fitness bootcamp.  How hard it was (up at 4:00 a.m. 6 days a week), and how well I did and how much I achieved in just two months.  I think I was just about the oldest person there (most were in their 20's and early 30's.) I did win two awards (one for not missing a day and one for the most inches lost) and that gave me a bunch of confidence.   I felt invincible and my body started to look amazing.

I can do anything I set my mind to.  I know that about myself. Always have.

At this stage in my life - fitness is so much more than just trying to look a certain way.  Which,  I'm ashamed to say has always been super important to me. Living in South Florida during my teens, 20's and 30's - image was everything.  Even though I worked very hard to elude that mentality - it was hard to distance myself from it.

At this stage in my life it is about quality of life.  About how I am going to live the rest of my life without restrictions and limitations.  With freedom.  It is more about "feeling" good, than "looking" good.  I am really starting to get comfortable with that concept and have come to terms with the shift.

Today I begin to chronicle my journey.  At first I know it will be a bit all-consuming.  I am prepared for that.  Change - real change - is always consuming.  It takes physical effort, yes, but it also takes an immense amount of mental effort - which, in and of itself - can be exhausting.

2014 is going to be about me.  (that feels un-natural saying that.)  But I'm not waiting for the New Year. I'm starting today - now - this minute.

I AM SO READY FOR THIS.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!! I am so proud of you!!!

Teresa said...

That is amazing. I started in a similar place about 6 weeks ago and am loving the changes. I haven't gone the trainer route but look forward to following your saga and who knows, maybe a trainer is in my future as well. Good luck.

Total Pageviews

Where Are You????